Thursday, December 17, 2009

DID YOU SAY THANK YOU?





Living in this last decade, with some dragging themselves around with this 'grotesque sense of entitilment', has been exhausting(to say the least)for many of us! Now I have to clarify, in the first part of my life(a.k.a. 21.5 years)I was anything but deprived and had access to luxuries perhaps not even afforded some of the rich(due to principal). So my whining about which fashion house outfit I had or had not for that weekend's dance, was exactly that, whining! I was never Superficial, on the contrary, I repelled many chances to be wealthy in life(even a millionairess)! Born of an immigrant family, who lost Everything to the Communists, but settled in the 'Land of Milk and Honey' and worked their way up to settle into a middle class Life! For some reason as an artist, writer, dancer and actress, I chose to idealize the philosophies of the Extremely talented but usually poor! And even though I loved the Quality of what money could buy(always being able to appreciate the difference)I frequently chose not to utilize my artistic talent to usher in 'Loads of Money', so as to afford myself all what I desired and had come accustomed to;I would, when it was a question of my work, rather Gift it! Perhaps I was holding myself back from oppurtunity and success, as I reflect back upon those years now, that realization is a distinct possability!  In any event, this article is not intended to disect the shortcomings of my youth, rather to shed Light on Gratitude. I always seemed to have a natural demeanour when it came to serving others and appreciate them serving you! I sincerely appreciated the service others gave to me, and as I said, had the oppurtunity to be oftened served upon. I never looked down upon people, in fact quite the opposite, servitude is a selfless act! I also always subscribed to the ideology that when a person did their job(and is often the case in our societies)many times it was not what they desired to do, but did it out of Love and to provide for their families. This is a mentality that immediately would garner my respect and I would always attempt to make their job easier, especially understanding that the work came from a place of deep devotion! I'm not kidding, I'm that person that will answer the phone during the busiest time, and take my time to answer the person's questions(interested or not)because I know that not only are they just trying to do their job, but that is the income that an entire family is dependent upon(can you imagine the complaints if they were unemployed)! So no matter how busy I am, and I always am, I can spare a few minutes of my precious time so that another human being can support their family! I recognize that it is not the road easier travelled but it is one thing that brings Peace and Harmony to one's Life by not being so self-absorbed! But the greatest pleasure of all is achieved through the Joy in the Eyes of the Receiver;there is no amount of money that can replace APPRECIATION! When you go to the supermarket and ring your items through the cash, do you take the time to greet your server? Do you ask how their day was? When you are driving in your car on the way to work, and someone who maybe missed the first alarm bell, and their spouse just announced they were leaving them and are running unavoidably late, needs to get in at the last moment, do you let them? When you passed through the heavy glass door on your way to the morning meeting at the last minute, did you hold it for the elderly lady riddled with arthritis that the door was about to slam on? When you walk through society, do you pay attention to the needs of others? Do you thank people when they make your life just a little bit easier, even if it is with the smallest of things! Can people never do enough for you? Or do you appreciate every little thing that people do? The intersting part is, that without question, being a person that walks with Gratitude in their Heart is a far cry happier than those who do not appreciate anyone in their lives! Their is a definite relationship between being Grateful and being Happy...and bringing Happiness through Kindness to Others is a Godly Act!

                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment