Monday, January 11, 2010

IT WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY...YET IT STILL CRACKS ME UP!



One of the Funniest(could have been Tragic)Moments in My LIFE, the kind you normally don't LAUGH at(But I find myself LAUGHING every time I recount it over the years)was when I was nine years old and Coming Home from Zagreb, Croatia. I went without my Mom and Dad that year, Yes All By Myself at nine, with my I.D. Pouch(containing my passport/plane ticket/boarding passess/important no.'s)hanging 'round my neck, and it wasn't my first time either. By the age of nine I considered myself a World Traveler and like my hero Pippi Unneeding of Adult Supervision...I could cook for myself, clean the entire house, go to the store and pick up all the groceries including wine for dinner. I could milk a cow, pick fresh chicken eggs and crop down corn...A City Girl with the HEART of the COUNTRY...I could even mix you a Perfect Dry Martini...I was so interested in Learning about and Learning how to DO EVERYTHING...
At that age I was Already a regular at my local library(which had this Amazing Noah's Arc, that was the kid's section of the library)where I spent hours of my free time LEARNING...Investigating...Educating Myself...While quite oppositely at school I was regularly decling in my grades...those flourescent lights always gave me headaches and made me feel very fatigued...how are you supposed to FOLLOW things in that State?

And Of Course I Could get on a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet by Myself and FLY West to EUROPE, with cities such as Paris, Frankfurt, Munich and Amsterdam as Stopovers! The Crew were Always Amazed at How Comfortable I was at Travelling Alone and so very young. I would tell them that I was Born to FLY and that I Feel At Home in the AIR...so they'd make me the unofficial crew member(Cap and Apron)each time...I'm not Kidding, I got to serve meals, drinks(yes alcholic ones),give out newspapers, magazines and lots of cool games for kids(many of which the crew made me keep for myself). I got to visit the Captain and Co-pilot in the Cockpit, both of whom already befriended me pre flight, and the Piece de Reisistance...going on the Second Floor Private(and only for 1st class)Lounges on Swiss Air, Air France and Lufthansa(my Fav's). Even though I was very young they didn't treat me like a kid and oh the experiences they offered...Once in a Lifetime kinda things you can't do anymore in This Life!

Anyway back to the Not so Funny, Funny Occurence that Trip HOME...I was uncustomarily going first on the treacherous JAT(Yugoslav Airlines)famous for their LOOng Time Delays and Mechanical Problems! We departed Zagreb before noon en route for Frankfurt, one of the world's biggest aeroports at that time. I was to change planes there and hop onto my Lufthansa Jet. The stewardessess made me sit at the back to be closer to them. They were GOOD to me and upon arrival to Frankfurt instructed me to stay at the back till' they finished their jobs...Then they would return to take me to my connecting...
So I Patiently waited and waited, travelling frequently you got used to having more of that VIRTUE! As I watched the Plane completely empty it's Human Cargo...It wasn't long before I realized there was NOBODY BUT ME on the Entire Plane...the stewardessess, well they forgot for they never returned for me...But I wasn't scared...After all I was PIPPI...and I was used to travelling the World via the seas with My Horse and Monkey as My Crew...RIGHT?
Even so, I immediately recognized that I was in a 'Pickle'(predicament)where my quick action was required,  for I clearly remembered my connecting flight was unusually soon...so TIME was of the Essence unless I intended to be stranded at Frankfurt for a while? Meanwhile back in Canada, my Parents were doing their regular tracking bit they did whenever I Flew SOLO. So they call the airport at Frankfurt and ask the agent to check the Passenger Manifest. They then proceeded to tell My Liberal but Overprotective Parents, that I was Absolutely not on the plane. Furthermore the flight is scheduleed to depart in 15 minutes. My Parents Freaked and all kinds of Horrors their minds entertained...the size of that airport would make a nine year old(with all her documents hanging round her little neck)easy Target for Abduction(but those were Different TIMES)! Course in their Emotionally Charged State, they Forgot that Nine year old girl was ME! I picked up my little 'Neccesaire'(French for necessities)took One Last long LOOK around the completely abandoned plane and how Funny this really was...a little girl all by herself in an Enormous Jumbo Jet, kinda made me feel like Alice in Wonderland!
Thankfully, they left the stairs down! I remember it was always such a long tap dance down the mighty metal stairs...but if you were so inclined,  you could make it sound like MUSIC...you know get a rhythm going...At that Entire Observation I began to Laugh out Loud, Echoed by the Empty Plane, which made it even Funnier! I started singing and dancing, "Nobody but me, nobody but me in this plane..la,la,la...la,la..."
I still had a ways to walk across the airport tarmack, we weren't at the dock but more so in the centre. Imagine Nobody questioned, as they witnessed from a distance, a very young girl crossing the tarmack...Plus I had a Natural Compass...to find my way to wherever I needed to go...it was that compass that brought me inside the airport and straight to a couple I recognized from the flight...they promptly got me to an agent who got a stewardess to pick me up within minutes...Whilst my Jet Waited Upon Me...
In the Mean time in Canada, my Parents are informed that I found my way and am boarding the plane. No Worries(Though I'm sure they were Freaked for a Moment)Remember Dad, I'm the three and a half year old that made you a lunch, and when my babysitter fell asleep, I left the apartment building,  then crossed the very busy 6 lane Sheppherd Avenue, to where you were doing that construction job you weren't cut out for, building Fairview Mall...After the Initial Shock of seeing me standing there Alone he asked, "Ariana how did you, what are you, how did you get here?"
"Oh Tata(Croatia term of endearment for father)I walked here of course. I thought you'd be hungry from working soooo hard"...I should mention my other childhood HERO was Shirley Temple...remember her as Heidi, she had a real knack for taking care of a situation in order to fix a problem...and there was no Adult, that stood not in agreement to the Plan, that could stand in her way...she had REAL GUTS!...That was ME...Always wanting to Take Care of Everything for My Family, Friends and Strangers...whatever I could do to Help fix the Situation...Help Solve the Problem...Guess I was Always a PROBLEMSOLVER ...




                                         Godspeed  1.11.10  Angeloflight + + +

1 comment:

  1. There are some thin if the legitimate work as a line there. Most are sites and marketing study for the site owner rich, not you. The only thing is true legitimacy Ebay, selling things you already own

    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete